Title: New Formulas and Numbers Arising from Analyzing Combinatorial Numbers and Polynomials
Montes Taurus J. Pure Appl. Math. / ISSN: 2687-4814
Article ID: MTJPAM-D-20-00038; Volume 3 / Issue 3 / Year 2021 (Special Issue), Pages 238-259
Document Type: Research Paper
aDepartment of Engineering Fundamental Sciences Faculty of Engineering Alanya Alaaddin Keykubat University TR-07425 Antalya, Turkey
bDepartment of Mathematics, Faculty of Science University of Akdeniz TR-07058 Antalya, Turkey
Received: 30 October 2020, Accepted: 15 December 2020, Published: 25 April 2021.
Corresponding Author: Irem Kucukoglu (Email address: email@example.com)
Full Text: PDF
In this paper, we derive various identities involving the negative higher-order combinatorial numbers and polynomials and other kinds of special numbers and polynomials such as the Stirling numbers, the Lah numbers, the negative higher-order Changhee numbers and polynomials, and the positive higher-order Bernoulli numbers and polynomials. Furthermore, by using the integral formulas of not only the negative higher-order combinatorial numbers and polynomials but also their generating functions, we obtain some identities and combinatorial sums. We give some infinite series, involving the negative higher-order combinatorial numbers, with their values in terms of the falling factorials, the Catalan numbers, the Daehee numbers (linear combination of the Stirling numbers and the Bernoulli numbers) and the Changhee numbers (linear combination of the Stirling numbers and the Euler numbers). As application of these infinite series, we also set two new sequences of special numbers with their generating functions, and investigate their properties. We pose an open question related to one of these number sequences. By using an infinite series arising from the integral of the generating functions for the negative higher-order combinatorial numbers and polynomials, we also introduce a new family of polynomials associated with the Bernstein basis functions. In addition, we derive symmetry property, integral formulas and derivative formula for these newly introduced polynomials. Moreover, by implementing an explicit formula of these newly introduced polynomials in Mathematica with the aid of the Wolfram programming language, we present some plots of these newly introduced polynomial functions for some of their randomly selected special cases. We also give some further results including series representations, combinatorial sums, integral formulas and relations for some of combinatorial numbers and poynomials. Finally, we present some observations and comments on our results.
Keywords: Generating functions, Special numbers and polynomials, Bernoulli numbers and polynomials, Stirling numbers, Bell numbers, Lah numbers, Catalan numbers, Daehee and Changhee numbers, Bernstein basis functionsReferences:
- M. Acikgoz, S. Araci, On generating function of the Bernstein polynomials, AIP Conf. Proc. 1281 (1), 1141, 2010; https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3497855.
- M. Bona, Introduction to Enumerative Combinatorics, The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- D. Branson, A combinatorial interpretation of identities involving Stirling numbers and their generalizations, Fibonacci Quart. 44 (2), 131–140, 2006.
- N. P. Cakic and G. V. Milovanovic, On generalized Stirling numbers and polynomials, Mathematica Balkanica 18, 241–248, 2004.
- L. Carlitz, Some theorems on Bernoulli numbers of higher order, Pacific J. Math. 2 (2), 127–139, 1952.
- C. A. Charalambides, Enumerative Combinatorics, Chapman and Hall/ CRC Press Company, London, UK; New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- L. Comtet, Advanced Combinatorics: The Art of Finite and Infinite Expansions, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; Boston, MA, USA, 1974.
- J. H. Conway and R. K. Guy, In the Book of Numbers, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1996.
- G. B. Djordjevic and G. V. Milovanović, Special Classes of Polynomials, Faculty of Technology, University of Nis, Leskovac, Serbia, 2014.
- N. Elezovic, Asymptotic expansions of gamma and related functions, binomial coefficients, inequalities and means, J. Math. Inequ. 9 (4), 1001–1054, 2015.
- A. Erdelyi, Higher Transcendental Functions, Volumes I-III Bateman, Harry McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1953.
- J. W. L. Glaisher, On the residues of the sums of products of the first p − 1 numbers, and their powers, to modulus p − 2 or p − 3, Quarterly J. Pure Appl. Math. 31, 321–353, 1900.
- H. W. Gould, Combinatorial Identities, Vol.1-Vol.8, http://www.math.wvu.edu/~gould/.
- R. Goldman, Pyramid Algorithms: A Dynamic Programming Approach to Curves and Surfaces for Geometric Modeling, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, R. Academic Press, San Diego, 2002.
- F. Qi, Explicit formulas for computing Bernoulli numbers of the second kind and Stirling numbers of the first kind, Filomat 28 (2), 319–327, 2014.
- F. Qi, X.-T. Shi and F.-F. Liu, Several identities involving the falling and rising factorials and the Cauchy, Lah, and Stirling numbers, Acta Univ. Sapientiae, Mathematica 8 (2), 282–297, 2016.
- C. Jordan, Calculus of Finite Differences, 2nd ed.; Chelsea Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 1950.
- D. Kim, Y. Simsek and J. S. So, Identities and computation formulas for combinatorial numbers including negative order changhee polynomials, Symmetry-Basel 12 (9), 2020; https://doi.org/10.3390/sym12010009.
- D. S. Kim and T. Kim, Daehee numbers and polynomials, Appl. Math. Sci. (Ruse) 7, 5969–5976, 2013.
- T. Kim, S. H. Rim, Y. Simsek and D. Kim, On the analogs of Bernoulli and Euler numbers, related identities and zeta and l-functions, J. Korean Math. Soc. 45 (2), 435–453, 2008.
- D. S. Kim, T. Kim and J. Seo, A note on Changhee numbers and polynomials, Adv. Stud. Theoret. Phys. 7, 993–1003, 2013.
- T. Koshy, Catalan Numbers with Applications, Oxford University Press, Oxford, New York, 2009.
- I. Kucukoglu, A note on combinatorial numbers and polynomials, Proceedings Book of the Mediterranean International Conference of Pure & Applied Mathematics and Related Areas 2018 (MICOPAM 2018), 103–106.
- I. Kucukoglu and Y. Simsek, Identities and derivative formulas for the combinatorial and Apostol-Euler type numbers by their generating functions, Filomat 32 (20), 6879–6891, 2018.
- I. Kucukoglu, B. Simsek and Y. Simsek, An approach to negative hypergeometric distribution by generating function for special numbers and polynomials, Turk. J. Math. 43, 2337–2353, 2019.
- I. Kucukoglu, B. Simsek and Y. Simsek, Generating functions for new families of combinatorial numbers and polynomials: Approach to Poisson-Charlier polynomials and probability distribution function, Axioms 8 (4), 112, 2019; https://doi.org/10.3390/axioms8040112.
- G. G. Lorentz, Bernstein Polynomials, Chelsea Pub. Comp., New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- Q.-M. Luo and H. M. Srivastava, Some generalizations of the Apostol-Genocchi polynomials and the Stirling numbers of the second kind, Appl. Math. Comput. 217, 5702–5728, 2011.
- E. D. Rainville, Special Functions, The Macmillan Company, New York, 1960.
- S. Roman, The Umbral Calculus, Dover Publ. Inc., New York, 2005.
- S. Roman, An Introduction to Catalan Numbers, Birkhauser, 2015.
- Y. Simsek, On q-deformed Stirling numbers, Int. J. Math. Comput. 15 (2), 1–11, 2012.
- Y. Simsek, Generating functions for generalized Stirling type numbers, array type polynomials, Eulerian type polynomials and their applications, Fixed Point Theory Appl. 87, 343–355, 2013.
- Y. Simsek, Functional equations from generating functions: A novel approach to deriving identities for the Bernstein basis functions, Fixed Point Theory Appl. 2013, 1–13, 2013.
- Y. Simsek, Generating functions for the Bernstein type polynomials: A new approach to deriving identities and applications for the polynomials, Hacet. J. Math. Stat. 43 (1), 1–14, 2014.
- Y. Simsek, Analysis of the Bernstein basis functions: an approach to combinatorial sums involving binomial coefficients and Catalan numbers, Math. Methods Appl. Sci. 38 (14), 3007–3021, 2015.
- Y. Simsek, Identities on the Changhee numbers and Apostol-type Daehee polynomials, Adv. Stud. Contemp. Math. (Kyungshang) 27 (2), 199–212, 2017.
- Y. Simsek, Analysis of the p-adic q-Volkenborn integrals: An approach to generalized Apostol-type special numbers and polynomials and their applications, Cogent Mathematics 3:1269393, 1–17, 2016.
- Y. Simsek, Construction of some new families of Apostol-type numbers and polynomials via Dirichlet character and p-adic q-integrals, Turk. J. Math. 42, 557–577, 2018.
- Y. Simsek, New families of special numbers for computing negative order Euler numbers and related numbers and polynomials, Appl. Anal. Discr. Math. 12, 1–35, 2018.
- Y. Simsek, Integral representations of generating functions for combinatorial numbers and polynomials, Proceedings Book of the Mediterranean International Conference of Pure & Applied Mathematics and Related Areas 2018 (MICOPAM 2018), 217–220.
- Y. Simsek, Explicit formulas for p-adic integrals: Approach to p-adic distributions and some families of special numbers and polynomials, Montes Taurus J. Pure Appl. Math. 1 (1), 1–76, 2019.
- Y. Simsek, Generating functions for finite sums involving higher powers of binomial coefficients: Analysis of hypergeometric functions including new families of polynomials and numbers, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 477, 1328–1352, 2019.
- Y. Simsek and M. Acikgoz, A new generating function of (q-) Bernstein-type polynomials and their interpolation function, Abstr. Appl. Anal. 2010, 769095, 2010; https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/769095.
- Y. Simsek and N. Cakic, Identities associated with Milne-Thomson type polynomials and special numbers, J. Inequal. Appl. 2018:84, 2018; https://doi.org/10.1186/s13660-018-1679-x.
- Y. Simsek and I. Kucukoglu, Some Certain Classes of Combinatorial Numbers and Polynomials Attached to Dirichlet Characters: Their Construction by p-adic Integration and Applications to Probability Distribution Functions, A Chapter in the Book: Mathematical Analysis in Interdisciplinary Research, Th. M. Rassias, I.N. Parasidis and E.Providas (Eds.), Springer International Publishing, Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2021, In press.
- J. S. So and Y. Simsek, Derivation of computational formulas for Changhee polynomials and their functional and differential equations, J. Inequal. Appl. 2020:149, 2020; https://doi.org/10.1186/s13660-020-02415-8.
- H. M. Srivastava and H. L. Manocha, A Treatise on Generating Functions, Ellis Horwood Limited Publisher, Chichester, 1984.
- H. M. Srivastava and J. Choi, Series Associated with the Zeta and Related Functions, Kluwer Acedemic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London, 2001.
- H. M. Srivastava, Some generalizations and basic (or q-) extensions of the Bernoulli, Euler and Genocchi polynomials, Appl. Math. Inf. Sci. 5, 390–444, 2011.
- H. M. Srivastava and J. Choi, Zeta and q-Zeta Functions and Associated Series and Integrals, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, London and New York, 2012.
- H. M. Srivastava, I. Kucukoglu and Y. Simsek, Partial differential equations for a new family of numbers and polynomials unifying the Apostol-type numbers and the Apostol-type polynomials, J. Number Theory 181, 117–146, 2017.
- A. Xu, On an open problem of Simsek concerning the computation of a family special numbers, Appl. Anal. Discret. Math. 13, 61–72, 2019.
- Wolfram Research Inc., Mathematica Online (Wolfram Cloud), Champaign, IL, 2020; https://www.wolframcloud.com.