Title: Multivariate and Spatial Statistical Analysis of Geochemical Data of Dolomite: The Case of Industrial Raw Materials’ Differentiation
Montes Taurus J. Pure Appl. Math. / ISSN: 2687-4814
Article ID: MTJPAM-D-21-00023; Volume 3 / Issue 2 / Year 2021, Pages 8-28
Document Type: Research Paper
Author(s): Zeki Ince a , Ozge Ozer Atakoglu b , Mustafa Gurhan Yalcin c
aDepartment of Geological Engineering, Akdeniz University, 07058 Antalya, Turkey
bDepartment of Geological Engineering, Akdeniz University, 07058 Antalya, Turkey
cDepartment of Geological Engineering, Akdeniz University, 07058 Antalya, Turkey
Received: 12 March 2021, Accepted: 16 March 2021, Published: 31 March 2021.
Corresponding Author: Mustafa Gurhan Yalcin (Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Full Text: PDF
Dolomite, which is a carbonate rock formed with a sufficient source of magnesium, may have different genesis and types. Various geochemical and statistical methods are used to determine these differences. In this study, dolomite samples were collected from the Obaalacami site in the Alanya district of the Antalya province (Turkey). The study aims to reveal the differences in the geochemical properties of dolomite samples in terms of their genesis and existence using multivariate and spatial statistical analyses. Therefore, multivariate statistics and spatial analysis methods were used. The mineralogical properties of the samples collected from the field were determined by conducting XRD analysis. It was found that 90% of the mineralogical content of the samples consisted of dolomite mineral and the remaining 10% consisted of calcite. Thin cross-sectional images revealed that calcite mineral was found in the recrystallized form. The dolomite samples, which were geochemically classified under three groups, were found to have similar elemental contents by using statistical methods (distribution maps, heat maps, and cluster analysis). The samples classified as Type-1 dolomite (medium-crystalline dolomite) were found to have high concentrations of MgO in their composition while the samples classified as Type-2 dolomite (micritic fine-crystalline dolomite) had high concentrations of CaO and Zr content. On the other hand, the samples classified as Type-3 dolomite (dolarenite dolomite) were found to have high concentrations of Al2O3, SiO2, Fe2O3, and Sr compounds. The mathematical model of the regression analysis for the formation of dolomites in the region was found to be (%) SiO2 = -0.1 + 31.92 * (%) Sr + ϵ (R2 = 0.97, P-value =0). Multivariate and spatial statistical methods conducted to interpret geochemical data revealed that dolomitic formations in the region had different genesis and types. The interpretations regarding the genesis and types of the dolomites provide parameters that can be effectively used in determining the industrial use of dolomites. The multivariate statistical and spatial analysis methods conducted in the study can be easily used to obtain the geochemical properties of various metallic mines and various industrial raw materials, their spatial distributions, and the differences in terms of their genesis.
Keywords: Multivariate statistics, Spatial statistics, Applied mathematics, DolomiteReferences:
- N. B. Adenan, C. A. Ali and K. R. Mohamed, Dolomites petrography and geochemistry of the Chuping Formation, Malaysia, In AIP Conference Proceedings 1571 (1), 445-453, 2013.
- B. Aydin, F. Yalcin, O. Ozer and M. G. Yalcin, Regression analysis and statistical examination of Knoop hardness on abrasion resistance in Lyca beige marbles, Filomat 34 (2), 609-614, 2020.
- A. Bahadori, E. J. M. and B. Soleimani, Geochemical analysis of evaporite sedimentation in the Gachsaran Formation, Zeloi oil field, southwest Iran, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 111 (3), 97-112, 2011.
- R. Battaloglu, S. Candar, M. G. Yalcin and F. Yalcin, Component Analysis and Determination of Heavy Metal Accumulation in Euphorbia macroclada Boiss (Nigde, Turkey), Asian Journal of Chemistry 25 (15), 8545, 2013.
- J. M. Callen and A. D. Herrmann, In situ geochemistry of middle Ordovician dolomites of the upper Mississippi valley, The Depositional Record 5 (1), 4-22, 2019.
- M. De Souza Fraga, G. B. Reis, D. D. Da Silva, H. A. S. Guedes and A. A. A. Elesbon, Use of multivariate statistical methods to analyze the monitoring of surface water quality in the Doce River basin, Minas Gerais, Brazil, Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25 (15), 35303-35318, 2020.
- M. Eren, M. Y. Kaplan and S. Kadir, Petrography, geochemistry and origin of Lower Liassic dolomites in the Aydıncık area, Mersin, southern Turkey, Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences 16 (3), 339-362, 2007.
- S. Fu, C. Chen, H. Qing, H. J. Z. Chen and Z. Hao, Geochemistry characteristics and dolomitization mechanism of the Upper Cambrian dolomite, eastern Ordos Basin, China, Geological Journal 16 (3), 3070-3082, 2020.
- P. Gabrielli, G. Cozzi, S. Torcini, P. Cescon and C. Barbante, Trace elements in winter snow of the Dolomites (Italy): a statistical study of natural and anthropogenic contributions, Chemosphere 72 (10), 1504-1509, 2008.
- A. Iannace, M. Capuano and L. Galluccio, Dolomites and dolomites in Mesozoic platform carbonates of the Southern Apennines: Geometric distribution, petrography and geochemistry, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 310 (3-4), 324-339, 2011.
- Z. Ince, Geology of Alanya Region and Determination of the Chemical Properties of Dolomite In the Region, Its Use and Its Importance in Terms of Economy, Akdeniz University Institute of Science and Technology, Master Thesis, Antalya, 62 pages (Turkish), 2020.
- M. O. Kaiser, Kaiser–Meyer–Olkin measure for identity correlation matrix, J. R. Stat. Soc. 52, 296–298, 1974.
- S. Kalayci, SPSS applied multivariate statistical techniques, 5, Asil Publishing Ankara, 2010.
- J. Kucera, J. Cempírek, Z. Dolníček, P. Muchez and W. Prochaska, Rare earth elements and yttrium geochemistry of dolomite from post-Variscan vein-type mineralization of the Nízký Jeseník and Upper Silesian Basins, Czech Republic, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 103 (2-3), 69-79, 2009.
- Y. Leventeli and F. Yalcin, Data analysis of heavy metal content in riverwater: multivariate statistical analysis and inequality expressions, J. Inequal. Appl. 1, 1-22, 2021.
- L. B. Nogueira, V. Q. Oliveira, G. M. Sampaio, M. P. G. Leite, Ali. A, A. T. Abreu and N. R. Banerjee, Elemental and stable isotopes geochemistry of Paleoproterozoic dolomites from Fecho do Funil Formation, Quadrilátero Ferrífero–Brazil, Journal of South American Earth Sciences 79, 525-536, 2017.
- C. Oz and O. Ozer, Application and interpretation of spectroscopic methods in ceramic archaeometry: XRF, XRD, The Journal of Ceramic Research 1, 136-153, 2019.
- O. Ozer, F. Yalcin, D. G. Nyamsari and M. G. Yalcin, Appraisal of metal accumulation in beach sand using contamination indices and multivariate statistical analysis, Proceedings Book of the 2nd Mediterranean 32, 2019.
- O. Ozer, F. Yalcin, O. K. Tarinc and M. G. Yalcin, Investigation of suitability of marbles to standards with inequality expressions and statistical approach using some physical and mechanical properties, J. Inequal. Appl. 97, 1-15, 2020.
- O. Ozer and M. G. Yalcin, Correlation of chemical contents of Sutlegen (Antalya) bauxites and regression analysis, In AIP Conference Proceedings 2293 (1), 180008, AIP Publishing LLC, 2020.
- M. Ren and B. Jones, Spatial variations in the stoichiometry and geochemistry of Miocene dolomite from Grand Cayman: Implications for the origin of island dolostone, Sedimentary Geology 348, 69-93, 2017.
- R. I. Rifai, M. M. Kolkas, H. M. Holail and K. A. Khaled, Diagenesis and geochemistry of the Aptian dolomite (cretaceous) in the Razzak Oil Field, western Desert, Egypt. Carbonates and Evaporites, 21 (2), 176, 2006.
- R. Semyrka, J. A. Jarzyna, P. I. Krakowska and G. Semyrka Analiza statystyczna parametrow mikrofacji dolomitu glownego w granicznej strefie platformy weglanowej, Gospodarka Surowcami Mineralnymi 31 (1), 123–140, 2015.
- S. Sharma, Applied Multivariate Techniques, 1996.
- K. Szramek, J. C. McIntosh, E. L. Williams, T. Kanduc, N. Ogrinc and L. M. Walter, Relative weathering intensity of calcite versus dolomite in carbonate‐bearing temperate zone watersheds: Carbonate geochemistry and fluxes from catchments within the St. Lawrence and Danube river basins, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 8 (4), 2007.
- O. K. Tarinc, O. Ozer, B. Aydin and M. G. Yalcin, Comparison of physical-mechanical properties of Clova and Lyca marbles in Akcay (Antalya) region by using independent-samples T-test statistics, In The 2nd Mediterranean International Conference of Pure Applied Mathematics and Related Areas, Paris, France, 28-31, 2019.
- E. Tat and M. G. Yalcin, Rare earth element contents, geochemistry of soil samples between Burdur and Isparta region and assessment of their origin, Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration 162 (162), 93-102, 2020.
- F. Tateo, G. Cortecci, V. Minguzzi and N. Morandi, Mineralogy and geochemistry of early-formed deep marine dolomite in the Castagnola Formation (Oligocene-Miocene, Northern Italy), European Journal of Mineralogy 13 (4), 727-741, 2001.
- S. Tian and J. M. Gregg, Application of multivariate statistical analysis to geochemical differentiation of dolomite, Carbonates and Evaporites 6 (1), 75, 1991.
- S. K. Tripathy, S. I. Angadi, N. K. Patra and D. S. Rao, Comparative separation analysis of direct and reverse flotation of dolomite fines, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review 39 (5), 339-350, 2018.
- J. Warren, Dolomite: Occurrence, evolution and economically important associations, Earth‐Science Reviews 52, 1–81, 2000.
- F. Yalcin, Data Analysis of Beach Sands’ Chemical Analysis Using Multivariate Statistical Methods and Heavy Metal Distribution Maps: The Case of Moonlight Beach Sands, Kemer, Antalya, Turkey, Symmetry, 12 (9), 1538, 2020.
- F. Yalcin, Data Analysis of Heavy Metals in Akkaya Lake Reservoir Soils Using Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Turkish Journal of Agriculture-Food Science and Technology 9 (1), 249-257, 2021.
- F. Yalcin, M. P. Jonathan, S. Ilhan and Y. Leventeli, Investigation of heavy metal content in beach sediments on the of Tasucu bay (Mersin) with geochemical and multivariate statistical approaches, Journal of Engineering Sciences and Design 8 (4), 1113-1125, 2020.
- F. Yalcin, D. G. Nyamsari, E. Paksu and M. G. Yalcin, Statistical assessment of heavy metal distribution and contamination of beach sands of Antalya-Turkey: an approach to the multivariate analysis techniques, Filomat 30 (4), 945-952, 2016.
- F. Yalcin, S. Kilic, D. G. Nyamsari, M. G. Yalcin and M. Kilic, Principal Component Analysis of Integ rated Metal Concentrations of Bogacayi Riverbank Sediments in Turkey, Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 25 (2), 471-485, 2016.
- F. Yalcin, O. Ozer, D. G. Nyamsari and M. G. Yalcin, Statistical evaluation of the geochemical content of beach sand along the Sarisu-Kemer coastline of Antalya, Turkey, In AIP Conference Proceedings 2116 (1), 100005). AIP Publishing LLC, 2019.
- F. Yalcin, S. Unsal, M. G. Yalcin, O. Akturk, S. B. Ocak and S. F. Ozmen, Investigation of the effect of hydrothermal waters on radionuclide activity concentrations in natural marble with multivariate statistical analysis, Symmetry 12 (8), 1219, 2020.
- M. G. Yalcin, Cluster analysis approach to identify metal sources in bottom sediments of Sultan Marsh canals, Turkey, International Journal of Environment and Health 3 (1), 106-125, 2009.
- M. G. Yalcin and R. Battaloglu, Investigation of heavy metals pollution along the Nigde-Kayseri Road, Turkey, Asian Journal of Chemistry 19 (3), 2257, 2007.
- M. G. Yalcin, O. Cevik and M. E. Karaman, Use of multivariate statistics methods to determine grain size, heavy metal distribution and origins of heavy metals in Mersin Bay (Eastern Mediterranean) coastal sediments, 2013.
- M. G. Yalcin and S. Ilhan, Major and trace element geochemistry of Terra Rossa soil in the Kucukkoras region, Karaman, Turkey, Geochemistry International 46 (10), 1038, 2008.
- M. G. Yalcin and S. Ilhan, Major and trace element geochemistry of bauxites of Ayranci, Karaman, central Bolkardag, Turkey, Asian Journal of Chemistry 25 (5), 2893-2904, 2013.
- M. G. Yalcin, M. Setti, F. Karakaya, E. Sacchi and N. Ilbeyli, Geochemical and mineralogical characteristics of beach sediments along the coast between Alanya and Silifke (southern Turkey), Clay Minerals 50 (2), 233-248, 2015.
- M. G. Yalcin, G. Simsek, S. B. Ocak, F. Yalcin, Y. Kalayci and M. E. Karaman, Multivariate statistics and heavy metals contamination in beach sediments from the Sakarya Canyon, Turkey, Asian Journal of Chemistry 25 (4), 2059, 2013.
- M. G. Yalcin and B. Unal, Multivariate statistical approach to identify heavy metal sources in urban roadside soils of Manisa, Turkey, Asian Journal of Chemistry 20 (5), 3978, 2008.
- M. G. Yalcin, I. Narin and M. Soylak, Multivariate analysis of heavy metal contents of sediments from Gumusler creek, Nigde, Turkey, Environmental Geology 54 (6), 1155-1163, 2008b.
- M. G. Yalcin, O. Aydin and H. Elhatip, Heavy metal contents and the water quality of Karasu Creek in Nigde, Turkey, Environmental monitoring and assessment 137 (1-3), 169, 2008.
- M. G. Yalcin, B. Coskun, D. G. Nyamsari and F. Yalcin, Geomedical, ecological risk, and statistical assessment of hazardous elements in shore sediments of the Iskenderun Gulf, Eastern Mediterranean, Turkey, Environmental Earth Sciences 78 (15), 438, 2019b.
- M. G. Yalcin, I. Narin and M. Soylak, Heavy metal contents of the Karasu creek sediments, Nigde, Turkey, Environmental monitoring and assessment 128 (1-3), 351-357, 2007.
- M. G. Yalcin, A. Tumuklu, M. Sonmez and D. S. Erdag, Application of multivariate statistical approach to identify heavy metal sources in bottom soil of the Seyhan River (Adana), Turkey, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 164 (1-4), 311-322, 2010.
- L. Zhang, Y. Jaio, H. Rong, R. Li and R. Wang, Origins and geochemistry of oolitic dolomite of the feixianguan formation from the yudongzi outcrop, Northwest Sichuan Basin, China, Minerals 7 (7), 120, 2017.
- W. Zhang, P. Guan, X. Jian, F. Feng and C. Zou, In situ geochemistry of Lower Paleozoic dolomites in the northwestern Tarim basin: Implications for the nature, origin, and evolution of diagenetic fluids, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 15 (7), 2744-2764, 2014.
- J. F. Zheng, A. J. Shen, Y. F. Liu and Y. Q. Chen, Multi‐parameter comprehensive identification of the genesis of Lower Paleozoic dolomite in Tarim Basin, China, Acta Petrologica Sinica, 33, 145–153, (in Chinese with English abstract), 2012.